Cedar City Valley Groundwater Management Plan
Revised: January 11, 2021
This is a web page devoted to the process of developing
a ground water management plan for Cedar City Valley in Iron County.
Groundwater management plans are created and regulated under
Statute 73-5-15 of Utah state law.
Water Rights Listing
A listing of groundwater rights within the groundwater management plan area is found
The following items outline the data that is being gathered and work that is being done to develop
the groundwater management plan:
Proposed Draft Plan November 3, 2020
Previously Draft Plans
The currently proposed plan is the plan that was presented at the October 15, 2019 public meeting with only clerical changes.
The documents that were discussed at the public meeting are still available at the October 15, 2019 public meeting page.
- USGS Water-Supply Paper 993
Geology and Ground-Water Resources of Cedar City and Parowan Valleys, Iron County, Utah; 1946.
- Technical Publication No. 60
Ground-Water Resources of the Parowan-Cedar City Drainage Basin, Iron County, Utah; 1978.
- UGS Special Study 103
The Geology of Cedar Valley, Iron County, Utah, and Its Relation to Ground-Water Conditions; 2002.
- USGS Scientific Investigations Report 2005-5170
Hydrology and Simulation of Ground-Water Flow in Cedar Valley, Iron County, Utah; 2005.
- USGS Scientific Investigations Report 2010-5193
Conceptual Model of the Great Basin Carbonate and Alluvial Aquifer System; 2011.
- UGS Special Study 150
Investigation of Land Subsidence and Earth Fissures in Cedar Valley, Iron County, Utah; 2014.
Recharge Estimate for Cedar City Valley; 2016.
- Groundwater Level Trends
- Groundwater Declines Animation From 1940 to 2019.
- Groundwater Management Plan Committee
A group of water users in Cedar City Valley have formed a committee to assist in the development of a groundwater management plan. In an
April 20, 2017 letter to the State Engineer, the committee has
asked the State Engineer to post the committee's meeting agendas and minutes to this website. The committee encourages the public to attend
committee meetings which will be held at noon at Festival Hall Room 1 on the second Thursday of every month.
- Letter to State Engineer January 10, 2019
- Letter to State Engineer December 31, 2018
- Minutes August 7, 2019
- Minutes April 11, 2019
- Minutes October 25, 2018
- Minutes September 13, 2018
- Minutes July 12, 2018
- Letter to State Engineer July 12, 2018
- Minutes June 19, 2018
- Minutes May 10, 2018
- Minutes March 15, 2018
- Minutes January 11, 2018
- Minutes December 14, 2017
- Letter to State Engineer November 13, 2017
- Minutes November 9, 2017
- Minutes October 12, 2017
- Minutes September 14, 2017
- Minutes August 10, 2017
- Minutes July 13, 2017
- Letter to State Engineer June 20, 2017
- Minutes May 11, 2017
- Minutes April 13, 2017
- Minutes March 9, 2017
- Minutes February 9, 2017
- Minutes January 12, 2017
- Public Meetings
During this process we will be holding public meetings to present
data and solicit public comment. The development and adoption of a plan will be a very
public process with much needed input from the water community. All public comments will be considered and
appropriate revisions to the plan will be developed. To help present the work that is being done
in the area we will be holding various public meetings. We will be providing notice for
these meetings on our website, in the newspaper and by mail to certain mandated parties at least 30 days
prior to each meeting.
Past public meetings:
- October 15, 2019 Development of a Groundwater Management Plan for Cedar Valley in Iron County
- December 8, 2016 Development of a Groundwater Management Plan for Cedar Valley in Iron County
- January 7, 2016 Process for Developing a Groundwater Management Plan for Cedar Valley in Iron County
- Public Comments
Public comments that have been submitted can be found on the web pages for the past meetings listed above.
Please submit written comments to:
Utah Division of Water Rights
646 North Main St
P.O. Box 506
Cedar City, UT 84721-0506